So guys, here’s the deal. I’d like you all to try these next 5 things, and see how you feel about it. They’re very simple, don’t cost anything AND are kind to the planet. Amazing right?! Why is it important? Well, because this planet we live on is beautiful and we are here to take care of it and it’s rapidly being damaged by things like pollution and plastic. That’s to name a very small number of things that are harmful and causing deadly effects but if we just do our bit each day we could make a huge difference as a collective. Wanna get started? Step one,…
- Take a canvas bag or a ‘bag for life’ when going out shopping. I have several, and I mainly use the cotton ones, they can look chic as well as being useful and you’re not paying for a plastic bag that isn’t recycled and just ends up dumped somewhere, being harmful to creatures and our planet. Plastic is an awful material and I try to avoid it as much as possible, preferring to use glass when I can instead for things in the home.
- Turn off your taps. You know when you’re brushing your teeth and you just leave that tap on cause you can’t be bothered to turn it off? Yep, I’ve done that too. But, seriously, what a waste of water. I think of people in Africa, who would give anything to have a drink of water, and there’s me, humming away whilst brushing my teeth, water pouring down the plug, when I could just take a second to turn it off. I try to do this when I remember. Other things you can do is cut down on shower time, and fill the kettle and use the boiled water to wash the dishes, it can be used a few times and is water saving!
- Buy second hand as much as you can. This is something I do and have done for years and not sure why other people don’t do the same. If you think about it, time, energy, precious recourses are used to make products. Why buy new things when you can buy a perfectly good item for half the price! Of course, it’s nice to buy ourselves a lovely new bag sometimes or makeup. But I regularly buy second hand cds, books, dvds and sometimes clothes! Just be savvy and check if the item is of good standard and you can enjoy the item just as much as if it were bought new, at a fraction of the price AND its not using up recourses! It’s actually pretty easy to find lovely things for the home too in Charity shops and the money goes to such a good cause. Give it a go peeps!
- Go Vegetarian or Vegan & Dairy Free. This is an obvious one but so many people are still eating meat and I just don’t get it. Yes a bacon sandwich is yum, but the poor pig didn’t deserve to die just so we can enjoy a tasty meal for 5 mins when a Veggie option is so much better for you, better for the pig, and super yummy. So, what’s the deal with this Dairy Free thing too?! Did you know that there is puss in cows milk? Yep,..Puss, and before an animal is killed for meat, it suffers anxiety and fear? You are basically eating anxiety and fear hormones in that meaty dish you are enjoying. Nice. And people wonder why they feel so sluggish. Veggie Burgers are SO tasty, Linda McCartney sausages are amazing! and there are some super yum alternatives to pretty much every different kind of meat going. So there are no excuses people,..go meat free!
5. Walk & Cycle as much as you can. Fair enough if you have to take public transport to work if you work in the city, or if the Supermarket is too far away from home. But do you really need to take that car down to the gym or to pop over to see that friend who lives nearby? Cars produce SO MUCH pollution and its really effecting our ozone layer. Walk instead. Now, I know what you may be thinking..’you’re a Model, when do you walk anywhere’?! Well I’ve gotta be honest and say I can’t drive, so I pretty much walk everywhere. And I’m glad of it. If I have to go somewhere further, then I reluctantly take the train or a bus or sometimes a Taxi. But I love to cycle and I mostly walk to everywhere I need to go which keeps my figure in shape AND also means I am walking very lightly on the planet. I am proud of the fact that I can wake up and can honestly say I do nothing that is hurting the planet and have a light Carbon Footprint. I’m not saying be like me, you shouldn’t drive, but if you can leave that car at home sometimes, that’s amazing!
~en Provence by Paul Sandilands
So there we are friends, 5 ways you can help the planet today. I’d love to know which things inspired you, what YOU do to be more Eco, and if you have any tips for me!
As always, so much Love